Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Creating my Personal Learning Network (PLN)

I am not a tech guru.  Facebook is the extent of my social media skills and I use that to connect with friends and family.  As I learn more about technology and its appropriate use in the classroom, it is becoming apparent that social media can be used as more than just a way to catch up with family and friends.
I have been educating myself on Personal Learning Networks and the variety of ways they can be used to help create an engaging classroom and environment for my students.  So, I logged on to my neglected Twitter account in hopes to revive it to a useful resource I can use for my classroom and teaching career.
Since I already had a Twitter account I logged in and looked over the different people and organizations I was following.  Because I want to use Twitter as a resource for teaching, I un-followed the people and organizations that were not related to education and teaching.
I then started to search for who and what to follow.  After a few Google searches I came across this WIKI  of different math educators to follow on Twitter:
VIEW
 

Math Teachers

Page historylast edited by stines 1 year ago

Math Teachers:



I searched through this list and picked out a few that sounded interesting and shared common ideas.  I also came across some good list of different hashtags for educators to follow:


  After picking out a few people/hastags to follow, I went back to Twitter and searched for each one. Once I found them, I looked through their tweets and profiles and if they looked interesting, I followed them.  After clicking follow, Twitter makes suggestions on other people or organizations to follow.  Through this process of searching for people and going through Twitters suggestions, I found 56 people/organizations to follow!

After adding to my following list, I then went to tweet deck to set up different columns to make it easier to organize the tweets I'm following.  

I also went over to tweet chat and searched different hashtags and read through different chats happening about them.
This process has really helped me set up my Twitter account to be used as a resource.  To sustain this, I plan on loging on at least once a day to read through tweets and to begin participating in different tweet chats and conversations centered around education.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! You're off to a great start, Erin. I look forward to following your learning through your PLN.

    ReplyDelete